ARBA District Director 8 Cathy Patrick passed away in June. On July 28, a memorial/benefit show was held. District Director 9 and judge Eric sent in photos and report:
"The Cathy Patrick Memorial Show was held on Saturday 7/28 and was an incredible success. It was held in central OH, about 1.5 hours north of Columbus. There were exhibitors that arrived from as far away as Massachusetts! Of course there were exhibitors from KY, MI, OH, IN, IL, PA, MD, WV, VA, NJ, NY and Canada as well. There had been tornado warnings the night before, and flash flooding throughout the area; making travel a bit daunting. The show committee stayed up through the night to ensure that the showroom was "de-flooded", and that everything was prepared despite the adverse weather. At the risk of sounding corny, or sentimental, I liken the day to a spiritual experience. Despite the humidity, mud, and tight space (no one had dreamed that so many folks would travel that far) EVERYONE was in such good spirits and more than kind. Of the judges that volunteered their time and expenses, Cindy Wickizer had the expense of flying in to judge as well! The building was donated, most sanctions were donated, and the raffle was probably the best one you've ever seen. Proceeds went to help ease some of the medical costs that were not covered by Cathy's insurance. Bill, Cathy's parents, Cathy's children and some of her grandchildren were there as well."
"The show was every bit if not more of a memorial service as it was a show. As you moved through the showroom you could hear "Cathy...." stories, and folks reminiscing about times with Cathy and Bill. It was a really great to have this opportunity for everyone to gather together to celebrate Cathy's life."
Eric provided many photos and descriptions. Here are some of them:
1. Cathys' daughters-Rachel, Dawn, and Michelle (granddaughter Kendall with her mother, Michelle); Ron Riddle, Todd Naragon, Cindy W, Howard Keller, Eric Stewart, Bill Patrick, and Brad Boyce
2. Cathy's grandson Steve, and her daughter Rachel writing for the open mini rex...Rachel showed mini rex for many years with great success...now she and her husband raise outstanding horses.
3. Katie and Brad Boyce, Executive Director of ARBA.
4. Kristi and Greg Rogers spearheaded the effort to put this show together...we owe them a debt of gratitude.
5. Karlie Hoy and Elaine were my fearless writers for the day. Even though these folks were from PA, they came a LONG way to get to this show.
Photos of the open and youth winners will be posted tomorrow.