Northern California Angora Guild

Monday, September 25, 2017

Girls Trying Out the Convention Carriers

 
 
 
 
 
Betty is preparing for convention.  

For the last three conventions at Fort Worth, TX, Portland, OR, and San Diego, CA, I was able to drive my rabbits.   Though I have flown rabbits so many times that I can't even count, the changes in the airline industry makes me very nervous about this trip to Indianapolis, IN.   The last time I flew with rabbits to a convention was in 2013 to and from Harrisburg, PA.  Delta accepted pets as excess baggage and allowed each passenger two kennels.  The fee was the same regardless of the weight and Delta personnel very seldom weighed the kennels.   See my preparation and trip for the Harrisburg convention in 2013:

http://ncag.blogspot.com/2013/10/kennel-and-carriers-for-flying-to.html 

https://ncag.blogspot.com/2013/10/convention-bound.html

https://ncag.blogspot.com/2013/10/home-safely.html


Around 2015, most or maybe even all the airlines stopped taking pets as excess baggage and everyone has to go through cargo.    So this year we are using United Pet Safe cargo.   They have a good reputation of handling pet shipping but since this is the first time I am using them to go to the convention, I'm very nervous about it.     Each flight into and out of Indianapolis and the nearby airports use small to medium size aircrafts, each flight only takes one kennel.   The above are the carriers that I plan to use. 

 

 

I have three senior does in my entries, I did a quick fluffing of Fawnadette in the morning and took a picture.

 
A quick fluffing and a photo op for Fawnalisa.




Same on Jada.
 




Left to right are Fawnadette, Fawnalisa and Jada. 




Another view of the three girls, their coats filled the holes.
The boys will have smaller holes in the bottom, don't know whether it'll work or not, praying.

The airlines instruction prefers the use of dog crate outside these carriers.   I have all the equipment but using the dog crate will add 28 pounds to the weight.   The total weight more likely will exceed the 100 pound upper limit.   To use or not to use the dog crate?  Still undecided.  

The dolly under the carriers is not considered as a part of the shipping, it will incur a separate charge.  



 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home