Northern California Angora Guild

Sunday, August 07, 2011

Waiting For Night Blooming Cereus




Betty says,

In 1978, a friend gave us a cutting of the stem/leaf of a Night Blooming Cereus. After many years, the stem/leaf developed into a nice plant. Over the years, it would bloom. In 2006, I blogged about it; see http://ncag.blogspot.com/2006/09/night-blooming-cereus.html


The year of 2006 proved to be a year of extreme temperatures. In the summer, it reached a record breaking temperature of 114 degrees in Morgan Hill; then in the winter, it went down to the 20s. Our Cereus plant, unfortunately, got frost bite so bad that only a few stem/leaves that were salvageable. Though we were able to have a live plant, it had not bloomed from 2006 and on.


It was very exciting that three flower bulbs appeared on the plant. I am sharing pictures of this unusual flower."





A little bulb gives the beginning of a flower on the "Night Blooming Cereus".



The little bulb grows into a bigger bulb.

The bulb is loosening up.


Suddenly after dark, here it is, the Night Blooming Cereus is blooming!



A close up shot of the Night Blooming Cereus.





Twelve hours after the bloom, the flower starts to wilt.



An hour or so later, the flower is wilted.



Less than 24 hours after the flower bloomed, it is now totally wilted.


"One flash of a Night Blooming Cereus" is a Chinese saying describing things that appear quickly then disappear quickly.






4 Comments:

  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Lilac Haven said…

    Betty. These are beautiful. I have something similar in moonflower. Blooms at night and blooms only last the night. Smells very fragrant. Does the NB Cereus grow from seeds? If so I would love to trade some with you.

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Northern California Angora Guild said…

    Annette: As far as I know, the Night Blooming Cereus propagate by cutting; that's how I got mine. If you are going to Indy, I could bring some cutting with me and then you can keep it moist in the hotel during the convention. If you are not going, I could cut a couple of stem/leaves and put in plastic bag and mail to you. I don't know whether it'll survive the traveling or not. In your climate, you will have to keep the plant indoors during the winter or it'll freeze. It froze in CA when it got down to 20s.

    Betty

     
  • At 6:04 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    I also have one of these plants which I have had for about 15 years, but have never seen it bloom. But, I keep mine in the house. Wonder if I put it outside in the summer if it would bloom. Beautiful!!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Northern California Angora Guild said…

    Deb: I believe moving your plant out to a covered area during the summer should help. Night Blooming Cereus plants are very common in Hawaii and bloom all the time. My cutting came from a friend who lived in Michigan; she said her plant in Michigan had never bloomed. Betty

     

Post a Comment

<< Home