Northern California Angora Guild

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Allen's Journey to Becoming A Judge - Working in MA










Allen started working on his 8-show requirement in late July. By Labor Day, he has already completed 7 of the 8 shows. In addition to his speed of working on the requirement, he had the opportunity to travel to different parts of the country to work under different judges. Here is his experience working in MA in August:


"I spent a week with family in Connecticut. It was my first summer trip back to New England since I moved five years ago! I had a great time! While back, I took the opportunity to work with an early mentor of mine, Judge #238, Paul Jergelonis from MA. Paul got his license when he was just 15 years old, and has been respected nation-wide for decades. Seven years ago, while still in youth, Paul disqualified 9 of my 12 American Fuzzy Lop entry at a show for too much ear control. I was FURIOUS, and spent the next 8 months ignoring him at shows. Nevertheless, I knew I had a problem with my rabbits. Though at the time I did not want to admit he was right, I culled hard for poor ear carriage. One and a half years later, I took four Fuzzy Lops to the Convention in Peoria. This was my first year in Open. Of my four, three won their class, and I took BOB and BOSB. A year later, I took BOB at the Wichita Convention as well. I respect Paul for having the strength to disqualify my entry, and the instinct to trust that I would look beyond a bad day, securing a strong future in the hobby. Paul was honored, and probably surprised, when I asked to work under his supervision at the August 4th show in Topsfield, MA. It was an awesome experience."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home