Northern California Angora Guild

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Hello Turtle, Long Time No See







































Betty reports,


"I was talking on the phone and saw a thing in my yard. I went closer to look; it was a turtle!

I put it in a rabbit carrier, gave it a bowl of water and went to the computer to google information about turtles; I also e-mailed several people including Pam Alley. Pam suggested that I call the wildlife center. After my description, I was told by the wildlife center that it's probably a Red Ear Slider turtle, usually a pet; also was told not to release it to the wild because it's non-native.

Next I called my neighbors to see whether anyone had lost a pet. My next door neighbor Stu said, "Oh, it must be that runaway. We found a turtle six or seven years ago and put it in our pond. It ran away about a year ago, probably it's the same one.

I remember that I also had found a turtle in the late 70s when we first moved into our house, a few years before I entered the wonderful world of rabbits. One of the neighbors took it as a pet but this neighbor had since moved away. I assumed that they took the turtle with them. May be not.

This turtle is 10 inches long and 8 inches wide; it is at least 15 years old according to the internet information. I am wondering whether this is the same one that I met about 28 or 29 years ago. Turtles live forever!

This morning, I took it to Stu and he graciously directed me to his pond and the turtle happily went into the water and started swimming.

I hope that the turtle has a happy life in Stu's pond and may be I'll see it again in 20-30 years!"

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home