Northern California Angora Guild

Monday, March 15, 2010

Where Is This?
































Where is this snow scene? North Dakota? Wrong, Try California!


Betty says,


"I had such a great time at the show in Myrtle Point, Oregon last year that I looked forward to going again. I had a motel reservation months ahead, and then kept on checking the weather forecast. Up to the entry deadline, weather forecast seemed to be very nice: sunny on Friday but shower on Saturday and Sunday. Then the forecast changed to shower on Friday and Saturday but sunny on Sunday a few days before the show.


Fine, I thought, I could drive in the rain. It's 9-1/2 hours, according to Yahoo map.


Friday morning, it was dry at my home. I got up early, loaded up my rabbits and was out of my garage quarter to 7 am. The first show was scheduled to start at 6 pm on Friday night and a potluck to start at 5 pm.


A few hours on the road, it started raining. I expected that. About 300 miles from home, I looked at my windshield, it did not look like rain and my windshield wiper was screeching. It just dawned on me that it was snow!


SNOW!!! It's no big deal for those who are used to it but I had not driven in the snow; my van is a regular van, no 4-wheel drive, no snow tires with special traction, and I don't carry chains. It got worse and worse; I was freaking out. Should I continue the next 250+ miles or should I turn back to go home? I found an exit and stopped to call Dawn, our fellow Angora breeder and the show superintendent. She said, no snow at Myrtle Point but it's raining. She's driving, could not look up the weather condition for me until about 1/2 hour later. I called hubby at home, he got on Internet to check on the satellite map. There are spots of snow, he said, but it's not all the way. Turning back and going ahead would encounter about same amount of snow, just drive slowly, he advised. Dawn called back a bit later and gave the same suggestion. I went ahead and continued the trip.


I made it to the showroom in 10-1/2 hours, even in time for the delicious potluck.


Was it worth the experience of driving in the snow? Your bet. I had a great time and my two tort does won 4 BIS and 1 RIS out of five shows! Pictures will be posted starting tomorrow."

1 Comments:

  • At 3:12 AM, Blogger Vivelly said…

    Congratulations Betty! It was well worth the trip by the sounds of it. :-) I can imagine your panic, its scary. Good you arrived all safe and sound.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home