Northern California Angora Guild

Monday, October 19, 2009

Convention Wire Bottoms



Betty says,


"ARBA convention is coming up in less than two weeks, we are all very excited. I am the Angora chairperson; many of my fellow exhibitors asked me to give them the coop size and samples of wire bottoms.

After contacting the convention personnel many times, the information available as of Sunday is that all four breeds of Angora would get large coop, 22" x 25". However, it is not yet a final decision. Even if the decision is made, it is still subject to change on the day of the show, and I had experienced that in previous conventions many times.

Now to the wire bottoms. I am posting photos of two styles.





This set is very simple; two piece each bend on three sides, rises either one or two inches from the floor. The doors of the coops are narrow and low, the wire bottoms are cut into two pieces to be joined in the middle by zip tie, fold and put into the coop then unfold.

This style is simple, not much work at the convention but it takes up a lot of space in your car or worse if you fly. I bought more than ten sets of this style in the 2002 convention then found it impossible to fly with after the initial purchase. This particular set fits medium 21" x 21" coops.




Here is a different style. I designed it when I encountered the issues of flying and varying coop sizes.

In 2004, the convention committee decided to give all Angora the extra large coops of 21"x 30". Obviously the sets I bought in 2002 were 9 inches too short. So I made these smaller pieces to make up the difference. The four sides are four "ears" that could stand up or go flat. In storage, many pieces can be tied together and they are compact enough to be put into my suitcase, though still very heavy. When I get to the convention, I would use zip ties to tighten the four corners and the piece stands up 2 inches from the floor. This style of wire bottoms would take a long time to get all pieces ready to be put into the coops for rabbits to sit on. It is not unusual to take 3, 4 or even 5 hours to get all the coops ready for my rabbits even with helps from friends.

If there are more convention information or news, I will post on our blog again. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home