Northern California Angora Guild

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Over-dyeing Angora Yarn






I experimented by dyeing a skein of variegated lumpy Angora yarn in strawberry pink; after setting the color, I dropped blue food color on top of the yarn in various places then cooked it again. The entire hat is made from this yarn.


The same yarn is used in making this hat by combining it with tort natural color yarn.

I dyed the variegated Angora yarn in blue first; after setting the color, I dropped pink on top of the blue yarn in various places. The colors are the same but the order reversed; it gives a different look from the yarn in the top picture.




The same yarn is used in conjunction with tort natural colored Angora lumpy yarn to make this hat.









Betty says,


"My hats are very popular; I am always looking for different ways to change the designs while keeping the same characteristics.


Normally I dye the yarns in one color then combine that yarn with natural color such as white, fawn or tort. Or if I want more than one color, I'd put the yarn in a container than drop different color dye on different spots.


To make things more interesting, I decided to dye one color over another dyed color. The resulting yarns are bold and loud. Some may like them, some may not. So far these hats have proven to be quite popular in sales.


These four hats are available for purchase. Contact me if interested."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home