Northern California Angora Guild

Sunday, August 04, 2024

Remember When: Bubbling Champagne


One of the questions that I encountered from various interviews was about Bubbling Champagne.  Here is an example:




This is Bubbling Champagne, photo taken in July 1983 when she was about 5 months old.  She was bred by Bobbie Meyer, an ARBA judge who has retired years ago.




The initial of Bubbling Champagne BC is where my rabbits got the identification.  Most thought BC stands for Betty Chu, and I was asked many times in podcasts and interviews, now you know the credit goes to Bubbling Champagne.    I've had several does when started and each gave an initial for their offspring and descendents, but Bubbling Champagne's line won out.  After a few years, only BC descendents stay in my breeding program.




Bubbling Champagne looks small in the photos, it's because she was a junior in most photos and also because ....




... the only grooming tools were slicker brushes and combs, look at the red brush in my hand, it's not even as good a brush as the ones we use today.   We all sat in chairs and brush, brush and brush.   No one had heard of the electric blower until the end of 1989.   This photo was taken in 1983.





As you see, Bubbling Champagne was a very loving rabbit.  She would stand up and give kisses.  I did not have photos when she became a senior, after she received three legs, she retired from shows to become a mom.   As my major breeder and an excellent mom, she has more litters than any of the does I have today.   The non-molting gene was discovered in her first litter of two live born of a buck and a doe.   The son was named Sexy Henry but he was actually not sexy with does, his sexiness was toward me, circulating and spraying at my legs.   The daughter Christina was the start of breeding for the non-molting English Angora, see 
Northern California Angora Guild: Oldie and Goodie: Concept of "To Molt or not to Molt" As a Choice (ncag.blogspot.com)

Bubbling Champagne was a lovely pet, a beautiful show rabbit, an excellent mom and the major influence of the improvement of the English Angora breed.






 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home