Northern California Angora Guild

Monday, February 26, 2018

Experimenting with Avocado Pit Dyeing

 
 
 
 

Maureen sent me a link about dyeing yarn with Avocado pits, see
                          Hubby eats a lot of avocado, I asked him to save me the pits. 
 
 
I spun up 80 yards of white Angora for this purpose.
 

The white Angora yarn is soaked in the Dawn bath.
 

 

There are about 12 small avocado pits simmering in a large pot.

 

The color associated with Avocado is green but the pits produce a pinkish bath.  The yarn is soaked in the hot bath for a few hours for the color to set and for the temperature to cool down.


 

After dried, the yarn is a pale pinkish color with a touch of lavender.   
Pro: If Avocado is a part of your regular diet, instead of throwing away the pits, now you can use them.
Con: The resulting color is very pale.   The on-line instruction calls for 3-5 pits while I used 12, there's no improvement in the intensity of the color.   Some may like pale colors but it's not my favorite.

It's a fun experiment.  

 
 
 
 

 
 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home