Northern California Angora Guild

Friday, September 11, 2009

Three Month Cut




Betty says,

"Others seem to think that all my rabbits look like the ones that I bring to the shows. Realistically it is impossible to keep all my rabbits in show coats. After they completed their grand championship and finished showing, I usually harvest my rabbits' wool every three months thus their coats usually stay short to medium in length.

My rabbits don’t matt nor molt; there is virtually no grooming needed in between the wool harvesting during the three-month period of time. When it’s time to harvest, I can cut down a rabbit in less than an hour and the wool is stored in Ziploc bags for future use or sale."


Fawnna in her show coat in the spring.

Fawnna in her 3-month coat that is 3 to 4 inches long, perfect for a harvest.

Fiskars soft-touch scissors are my favorite tool for wool harvesting. They stay sharp for several years. My oldest pair are 15 years old and still work very well.

The blades of the scissors are parallel to the skin when doing the cut.

I cut the wool next to the skin using the body as the guide; no chance of having second cuts.

The wool with the length of 3 to 4 inches long is perfect for spinning fine yarn and for blending.











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home