Northern California Angora Guild

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Candy's Angora Craft Booth





























Most of the Angora breeders are interested in fiber things. Candy's Angora items are known to be beautiful and well made. She specialized in fine yarn and fine knitting. She has good sales during this past Christmas season. It's very kind of her to share photos of her booth in a craft show; we can all learn something from it. Her story about the felted hat is especially interesting. Candy says,

"The top three photos are of my booth, showing some of my Angora items.

I don't know who the woman in the last photo. She bought this hat I had for sale. I made the hat from 1 ply of Angora and 1 ply of Suffolk sheep wool that I had spun. I dyed the yarn red. I knitted it very large to felt. I didn't know at the time, that Suffolk doesn't shrink and felt - or very little. And Angora is very variable - some felts easily, and some hardly at all. I washed that hat at least 7 times with very hot water, cold rinse, in the washing machine, longest cycle, and dried it in the dryer. I spent an hour needle felting on it. Still it was big and floppy. I put the pin on the front to hold up the floppy brim. I hoped there would be a perfect person for the hat, and there was! She looked so cute in it, I had to take her picture. "


2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home