Northern California Angora Guild

Monday, May 12, 2008

Allen Goes Back to Connecticut






Allen poses a Belgian Hare in the Central Connecticut RBA show in North Haven this past weekend.











"Mr. Belgian Hare" Al Butler teaches Allen to judge Belgian Hare in Fairbanks, Alaska in summer 2007 before his retirement.





Allen says,


"Yesterday, I judged the Central Connecticut RBA show in North Haven, CT, the show that I took my Registrar test at in 2001! It was a lot of fun being "back home" judging. In fact, the lady that taught me showmanship was at the show!!! It was weird judging her rabbits. The Belgian Hare National Show was also in conjunction with the show. There were 60 Belgian Hares, and people came from as far as Ohio and Illinois. The National and All-breed show was on Saturday, but I was hired to judge the specialty show on Sunday. I admit, the biggest class of Belgian Hares for me thus far had been 2! My senior buck class was 23... It was a challenge, but a day I will never forget. Posing the breed takes a considerable amount of time and patience (especially on day 2 of the show weekend!). Judging Belgians meant a lot to me personally because I raised the breed for a short time in Connecticut before moving to California. A great day!


I am attaching a picture of me posing the BOB Belgian Hare of the specialty I judged. You cannot see my face, but it's me! The man in the background watching me is recently retired judge Al Butler from Ohio. He is known as "Mr. Belgian Hare", and a long-time breeder. I had the honor of working under him in Fairbanks, Alaska last summer for my license; we worked with one Belgian Hare that day, but he taught me a lot. I was honored to have him in my audience of exhibitors today, and I could tell he was proud of me as I judged. Very cool."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home