Northern California Angora Guild

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Tale of Two White Bucks, 25 Years Apart























In early 1983, after having Angelina for several months and before having Bubbling Champagne, Betty bought her first English Angora buck, a white baby buck from Shirley to be Angelina's mate. The buck shown in the second picture was named "Prince Charming". He had a good pedigree with some common ancestors as Angelina and there were several grand champions in the background.

Betty remembers, "Prince Charming was a charmer, he charmed Angelina into having a romance when he was only 4 months old. Eight very healthy and bouncy bunnies were the result of their quick encounter. Bunnies grew, Prince Charming also grew. His ears got longer and longer, so was his body; he reached maximum weight limit as soon as he became a senior. I had to register him fast; he went overweight not long afterwards. In his entire show career, he received one leg. He grew so long that in a show one day, Shirley commented, "Betty, this is a very long rabbit, who is this?" I said, "It's yours, the one you sold me." She said, "No, it's not mine, it's yours now."

His wool wasn't too great either; this picture was taken at the peak of his coat. He was a sweetie, tame and easygoing. He wasn't too much of a show rabbit and his bunnies were also growing into big and long rabbits. I was not going to use him for breeding anymore; neither did I dare to sell him as a breeder. I finally found a pet home for him.

Many rabbits and almost 25 years later, I have had many white bucks. I thought I'd put up the picture of my most current white buck Bobbie Joe. Bobbie Joe has short and smooth body, short ears, dense and free-flowing wool; he even won an all breed Best In Show in July.

What a difference 25 years made!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home