Northern California Angora Guild

Monday, January 15, 2007

Allen's Long Drive Across Country





Allen recently drove from CA to CT to visit his family. He reports:

"Since moving to California over three years ago, trips back to the east coast to visit my family are far less frequent than we like. This winter, a unique opportunity to drive across country for my annual Christmas visit was presented. I have driven across the United States five times, and absolutely love the trip. Our country is very beautiful and diverse, and there truly is no better way to see it (if you can stand the ride). I left for Connecticut on December 20th with my very good friend, and excellent rabbit judge, Wade Burkhalter of Missouri. I convinced Wade to drive to Missouri with me, rather than fly back after his trip to California judging the week prior. As a very true friend, Wade agreed... and our journey began. Though Wade got me only to Missouri, his expertise in treacherous snow driving came in handy through New Mexico on our first night. You might think that a once New Englander would know how to drive in the snow, but my blood and driving skills have thinned some since moving to the sunshine state! After leaving Wade in Missouri, I trekked on alone to Connecticut; in total, the trip home took less than 3 full days."

Allen stayed home and then drove back with his sister Stephanie. Allen reports about the return trip:

"Stephanie had never driven across the country, and I could not wait to show her some of the sites I had already seen in my "rabbit travels". She was ecstatic! We drove across Interstate 70 until Missouri, where we once again stopped in Sedalia to see Wade. We spent the night, and he even took us to an annual poker game with local farmers! The event took place in a barn in the middle of an alfalfa field. Some of the men playing owned and farmed 6,000 to 12,000 acres! Though my sister and I did not play, as we were exhausted, the chance to watch Wade play was fun. He won over $100! After spending the night, Stephanie and I persevered on. We stopped in Oklahoma City to see the memorial at the bombing site. This was a somber visit, and a light rain and low fog over the plains made the moments unforgettable. The light prairie rain soon turned to down pours, tornados in Texas, and blizzards in New Mexico and Colorado. Because of the weather, we diverted south through Dallas on Interstate 35 to avoid Interstate 40 which was closed due to snow. From Dallas, we drove all night through Texas to reach Interstate 10, snugging the Mexico border through El Paso. Stephanie was driving at this point, and was amazed at the desolate life of West Texas. Deserts, cactus, and eventually palm trees filled our windshield views on the last day... finally to California! Again, our journey took 3 days, but slightly more miles due to the route change to Interstate 10."

The top photo is Allen and Wade; the second photo is Allen and Stephanie with Allen's dog Cali who stayed with Allen during the entire trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home