Northern California Angora Guild

Friday, March 26, 2021

Rabbit Vaccination against RHDV2 - First Trip





While human are experiencing the pandemic of COVID-19, rabbits are going through the pandemic of RHDV2.    RHD virus has been going on and off since the 1980s but was more or less isolated cases and usually affecting a few very limited areas.   It was not widely known or concerned because the Jackrabbits and Cottontails were not affected, the original RHD only killed the European domestic rabbits that are raised by breeders thus a bit easier to control.     The virus mutated into RHDV2 and killed the wild Jackrabbits and the Cottontails as well as European domestic rabbits.   If you look at the above map, The southwest regions are greatly affected.

I live in the greater San Francisco Bay Area at the southern tip of Silicon Valley, just south of San Jose.  I was concerned but not urgently concerned when the RHDV2 started spreading last year.   Then more and more cases came into southern California and most recently the Reno area (to be exact, Douglas County, NV), the threat became more real.   Though I along with most of my show peers have never got in the 150-mile quarantine zone, we are in the 250-mile no show zone in February and March.




RHD vaccines are not approved in the US as RHD is classified as a "foreign disease".   It takes the veterinarians extra effort to get it imported.   Not many are willing to deal with it because it requires tons of paper work and leg work and high initial set up cost that could run from several thousand dollars to over $10,000.   Last summer there were a few veterinary hospitals carried the vaccine but most have depleted the supply.  




After much research I found Ohana Animal Hospital that is about 1-1/2 hours away from my home has the supply.  They were originally not interested in accepting new clients like myself but after some persuasion, they accepted my request to vaccinate my herd.   

 


Since my van only has space for up to 20 rabbits, I needed two appointments.   The photos posted today were from my first appointment on March 19.   




Due to COVID restrictions, none of the human clients is allowed to go inside the facility.   My rabbits were wheeled in and I waited outside for the completion.




This is the list of my first 20 vaccinated on March 19.   There is a herd fee then a per rabbit vaccine fee.   Since I don't know whether they will keep the same charge or change in the future, I am not disclosing the exact amount but give an idea how it works.  It's not cheap to say the least, but consider what the veterinarian had to invest to get the vaccine imported, it is totally understandable and admirable.    

If you go back to the photo of the printed material above, you'll see there are potential side effects and the vaccine is not 100 percent protection.   As we know from our flu shots and COVID vaccine shots, it is the nature of vaccines, they protect but not 100 percent protection.     I am happy to report that none of these 20 rabbits suffered any side effect.   They are all well and eating, and some of them will be going to a show pretty soon.  

Tomorrow I'll share photos of my second appointment to Ohana Animal Hospital when Casey joins me.






 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home