Northern California Angora Guild

Friday, March 22, 2019

Carol's Dye Project





Carol handspun this skein of two ply yarn, one ply is white French Angora and one ply of Merino.  Carol describes how she approach the "speckled dyeing" as following:



I soaked the skein in water plus vinegar.  The water barely covered the yarn, then I randomly sprinkled dye powder using plastic spoon, using ruby red and orange.  I also dipped a plastic fork in blue and purple dye solution and touched yarn.



I covered pan with plastic wrap and microwaved on high for 3 minutes two times, allowing yarn to cool for 3-5 minutes in between.



I rinsed the yarn, only a tiny bit of color came off.



I finished rinsing the yarn.



The yarn is being dried.



Another view of the dry yarn.



Finished dry yarn.  I was aiming for less color and more white but I think sprinking dye with a spon resulted in too much dye.  The yarn still is very pretty.    




In case you wonder what kind of dye powder that I used, here they are.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home