Northern California Angora Guild

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Dyeing Angora Raw Wool

 
 
 
 
Betty cuts down an English Angora doe and got 5 ounces of prime wool.  She says, "I normally dyed the spun yarn than raw wool but decided to play with the raw wool.   I found it easy and safe".
 
 
I put the wool in a container under the faucet and use Dawn dishwashing liquid to aid the quick soaking.

 

Just a little drop of Dawn is enough to do the job.

 

I use a large cooking pot and four packs of Kool-Aid.





I put the wool in the cooking pot and cook it on the stove top, bring it to broil and turn off the heat.

 

I put it aside for cooling, you can still see the steam from the heat.

 

Now the wool is totally cool down and the color is showing very well.

 

I use my fingers to take the wool out of the pot.

 

I place the wet wool on a towel, when the towel gets wet, I change to another towel.

 

After three to four towels, the wool is damp but not wet anymore, I take it inside and spread on yet another towel and let the wool dry overnight.

 

The next morning the wool is very close to being dry, I use my fingers to tear the wool into fluffy piles.   If you like even color and smooth yarn, you may want to run the wool through a carder.   My taste is variegated color and lumpy yarn so I consider this pile of wool ready for spinning.





Spinning straightly from the dyed wool pile, here is a skein of variegated art yarn.   There is enough wool for another skein of similar size.  




 



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home