Northern California Angora Guild

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Candy's Trip: Angora Showing in European Show, Part 5

 
 
 
 
A REW Angora.
A fawn or red Angora.

A black Angora.

Angora on straw.


Candy reports,
There was a pretty good showing of
Angoras. There is just one breed -
Angora. Most were REW, but there were a
few colors, such as black, fawn (some
close to red), and I think one blue. I
didn't seen any I would get excited
about, or say "wow". Furnishings
varied. Notice they are on straw, and
probably all are on straw at home too.
I wish I had gotten to talk to some
breeders, but I never saw anyone around
that seemed to be an owner.

Many rabbits were for sale, but there
were no "for-sale" signs on cages nor
business cards. If you want to buy a
rabbit, you first buy a directory book
that lists all animals for sale.
There's one book for "feather" and one
for "fur". In the book, find the breed
you want, if you can read German or
figure it out. Then find a rabbit by
it's coop number. Remember, we're
looking through 25,800 rabbits in one
room. Find a rabbit you like the looks
of (no pedigree or talking to the
breeder) that's in the book, then go to
another hall in the WAY opposite corner
of the facility and wait in line with
hundreds of other people for about 2
hours, to finally get to the front of
the line to pay for your rabbit, to be
told that it has already been sold.
That's why you need to pick a second,
third, fourth, etc. choice rabbit before
getting in line. You're lucky if you
can buy the breed and variety you want,
let alone any certain individual rabbit.
 
 
 

 

1 Comments:

  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Vivelly said…

    There are very strange rules reg. Angoras in Germany and the UK that I know of. Animal Welfare Act says no wire bottoms allowed. There are no English Angora in Germany I think and the EA in the UK look more like GA, but with finer texture.I think its because of the Animal Welfare Act again to avoid breeding them "woolblind" with heavy furnishings. How they keep their animals clean and cool I wonder...?? And I am sorry to say, but I would always prefer the American EA, they look way more gorgous.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home