Northern California Angora Guild

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Allen's Kansas Surprise










Allen guest blogs:

"Randy and I had the fortune of judging the Smoky Hills Rabbit Breeders annual show on February 12, 2012 in Abilene, Kansas. While it's always a pleasure to catch-up with our Midwest friends and meet new acquaintances, I made an extra special meeting at the end of my day.

It's never uncommon for a judge to be asked many times during a show, "Will you please look at my rabbit and tell me what you think?" At the very end of the day in Kansas, after judging BIS, a lady kindly asked this question about her Satin Angora. I was first surprised because I had just judged BIS, and no Satin Angoras were in the lineup. She introduced herself as Denise Wyrick, and said that she came to the show just to register her Satin Angora.

The first thing I noticed about the Satin Angora buck was his very even coat in length, including over his shoulder. The staple length was approximately 4". Denise put the buck on the table, and I immediately went to feel the density. My hands were telling me "dense", but my preconceived notion in my head was arguing, "No way! Not possible!". I quickly blew in the coat to see if it was double coated. Nope. Within 3 seconds, I realized I was feeling the densest Satin Angora I had ever come across. His texture was also good, and when I found out he was a remarkable two years old, I was again floored! This Satin Angora was just beautiful and I am so thankful Denise approached me for my opinion.

Judges see hundreds of rabbits each weekend, but this opal Satin Angora particularly stuck in my head. I told Denise she and her rabbits deserved to go to an ARBA Convention! Let's hope we see a beautiful showing of Kansas Satin Angoras in Indianapolis - I know I will certainly be anxious to see the Angora isles this fall!"

3 Comments:

  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Woolie Creations said…

    Way to go Denise! Very Pretty bunny.

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger siampals said…

    You need to judge WA Satin Angoras, we have many dense ones here. I have a Chocolate doe who is just solid like brick & has the dense coat to match. Her lines are spread into the midwest too. Opals are a rarer variety, but pop up in my litters on a regular basis due to genetics I've kept to keep getting them. I find a variety I seldom see on the table, I keep it for breeding more of that variety.

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger siampals said…

    BTW my Whites yield 3-4 inches

     

Post a Comment

<< Home