Northern California Angora Guild

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Eric Guest Blogs About Oregon Flock and Fleece Festival







Randy and Allen's Angora goats in the holding pen.









Randy and Allen's beautiful colored Angora goat doe.








Allen, Randy and Muriel.












Eric holds on to the buck when the judge examines the body.








Muriel, Allen and Eric with three colored Angora goats.









The judge awards the prize to the winner buck.















Beautiful locks.









The inside of the beautiful locks.







Judging is over, Randy harvest the mohair while Allen holds on to the goat.














Eric says,

"I am on a high after going to OFFF in OR last weekend. I've been leary to fly since my awful flight back from WY in July when our plane hit a flock of birds; but I got on the plane to OR. Unfortunately, my fleeces and skeins didn't make it in time for the competition, but I was there in time to help groom the goats before the show on Sunday. We groomed goats all day on Saturday and also checked out the booths that were selling everything from processing equipment, dyes, to yak hair. I picked up some different fiber rovings with which to experiment this winter. It is a good thing that I checked an empty suitcase to bring back my finds.

Muriel Keyes came on Sunday morning to help Allen and Randy show their goats. The white classes were small, but the colored classes were very large. I think there were 15 colored buck kids! They came away with Champion Colored Buck, and Reserve Champ Colored Doe. I had a great time, and really learned so much over the weekend. Some of the founders of the breed were at the show as well, making it an opportunity to meet these legendary names in person. We camped out for the weekend, went to dinner with friends, and didn't even discuss rabbits the entire time we were there."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home