Northern California Angora Guild

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Colored Yarn To Dye For













Betty says,

"Showing my English Angora is lot of fun, it is my first love. The bonus of having these beauties is that I can also play with wool and yarn.

I spun up 200 yards of tort yarn recently. I mixed water with a bright red KoolAid; dipped two ends of the wet skein in the red liquid until the color became even. I put the half colored wet skein in a Corning casserole dish. Then I mixed up some black food color with water. Yes, there is black food color now; I was surprised to find it in the grocery store. I poured the black water into the other side of the yarn; then I added in some vinegar and more water. I used a spoon to push the yarn to absorb more color. This is shown in the first photo. There are spots of colors on the sides of the dish.

Then I covered the dish and put in the microwave for 10 minutes. Let it cool for a while. In the second photo, the colors are all absorbed by the yarn. The water on sides is all clear, no more color left in the dish.

I rinsed the skein and dried it on the towel, and then hang under the tree to dry, shown in the third photo.

The KoolAid, colored dye, vinegar and water are all safe to consume; my Corning casserole dish and microwave are to be used for cooking again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home