Northern California Angora Guild

Monday, March 19, 2007

More Nest Building Behavior





A few days ago, Carol W. reported that her doe Lacey gave birth to two bunnies. The bunnies are doing very well. Carol sent in some pictures of the Lacey, who she describe as "quirkiest of rabbits". Here is what Carol said,

"What I found funny was the mom. She is an almost compulsive cage cleaner. She has the cleanest cage and body of any of our rabbits ever. After she kindled, the nest box was so well cleaned that there was nothing dirty left for me to remove. She also has a knack for making a terrific nest. Before she kindled, she pulled so much wool that I had to remove some - the box was almost over-flowing. And she didn't have that much to start with. Then, every morning when I took the nestbox out to her to nurse, she would add more wool and more hay. She also pulled wool at night even though the nestbox was in the house. When I came out in the mornings, I would find clumps of wool tucked in the cage corners. And if I took the box away too soon, she would run around her cage with mouthful of hay looking for a place to put it. And she did this for almost a week. She is the quirkiest of rabbits, and I just love it!"

In photos one and two, Lacey has her mouth full of hay.

In the third picture, Carol said, "Be sure to look at Lacey's mouth in the pic "Quit watching!" - she's sticking her tongue out at me!"

In the fourth picture, Lacey is pulling more wool for her bunnies though the nestbox is already full of wool and hay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home