Northern California Angora Guild

Friday, July 21, 2006

Elaine's Questions



In the blog comments from yesterday,
"Elaine said...
May I ask questions? Must the tuna cans be secured or is it acceptable to leave them loose? can the animals be fed and watered when you drop them at the terminal and then have feed in the carrier during the flight? Would it be acceptable to have small hay bundles in the carrier? For traveling to shows, I have frozen water bottles so that the water melts more slowly and is available longer. Would this also be acceptable? Thank you for presenting this. It's not a subject often discussed. "


Betty checked the remaining photos, there isn't one which shows the tuna can clearly. She prepared a can for the purpose of taking a photo. Make two holes with a sharp tool (ice pick and hammer) and use a cable tie to tie it to the carrier. Use the cans which need a can opener, not the pull tab type to avoid the edges. Hammer down any place that looks sharp.

On the other part of the questions, Betty answers, "I can feed and water the animals in the cargo office but I still will have to fill out the form of when the animals are fed and watered. It's a standard form. I don't usually use hay because once I did, the cargo personnel had to look up the receiving state's requirement about agricultural material. To avoid complication, I just use regular rabbit pellets and water. No one pays any attention to the grain mix in the pellets though. I don't use water bottle for shipping because either I or the buyer would have to pay for the water bottle. Tuna can is "free". Additional frozen water bottles (for cooling?) are fine, except that they add on weight. The freight, after meeting the minimum charge, is based on dimensional weight and actual weight, whichever is more. Whatever I do, I try to minimize the cost to the buyer and the possible hassle that I might encounter in the cargo office."

The second photo gives a more clear view of the top with feed and shipping information.

The rabbits have arrived safely and Holly is thrilled. She has taken pictures of their arrival. These pictures will be posted as soon as she sends them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home