Northern California Angora Guild

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Having Fun with Kool-Aid and Easter Egg Dye



I have not received any rabbit news today.

Kids have fun dyeing eggs around Easter. Adults can have fun playing with Kool-Aid and Easter Dye year round.

Kool-Aid and Easter dye work great for dyeing Angora yarns. On the right, I use the combination of various colors available in the Easter Egg Dye Kit and in Kool-Aid. Mixing and matching, I made 24 different colored skeins. Each 20-yard skein uses one pack of Kool-Aid or equivalent. These skeins use prime Angora wool and spun medium fine.

When I groom rabbits, I put all the wool from different rabbits in one bag. There are different color, different length and different grade in my miscellaneous wool bag. The yarn is spun thick 'n thin with variegated colors then ply with silk. I used 4 packs of grape Kool-Aid and turned the skein into a purple yarn. This yarn is perfect for a hat, or with several skeins it'll make a very nice vest.

Every bit of wool from the Angora rabbits is useful for something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home